Sunday, January 13, 2008

Stéphane Dion in Kandahar

Stéphane Dion interviewed on CTV's Question Period from Kandahar, January 13, 2008 - click for video.

Or on YouTube:


Stéphane Dion et Michael Ignatieff à Kandahar

Stéphane Dion et Michael Ignatieff effectuent une visite en Afghanistan. (Presse canadienne, français)

After visiting President Hamid Karzai on Saturday, Dion visited the Kandahar Airfield and a forward operating base on Sunday.

In addition to meeting Karzai and Canadian soldiers, Dion has also met with many diplomats and NGOs.

NGOs have suggested many forms that Canadian involvement could take after the end of the combat mission, including assistance with police training, dealing with corruption, strong programs for women, education and water management. Dion reiterated that even after the end of Canada's combat mission, Liberals would support Canadian military involvement in security, training, monitoring etc.

More at the G&M et Radio-Canada.

3 comments:

Tomm said...

Although I am not an LPC supporter, I commend Dion for going to Afghanistan. I hope he wasn't too strident on his party's position since the LPC is not the government, however I think his going improves his knowledge of the situation and also the regional instabilities.

Taking Ignatieff was also a good idea.

Tomm

Anonymous said...

Tomm: Wouldn't Dion taking Bob Rae have been a better idea than taking Iggy?

Rae, after all, is the Liberal Foreign Affairs critic.

femmeverte said...

Maybe Mr. Rae was busy campaigning for the upcoming byelection. (Or still recovering from his heart surgery.)